2008, New Year New stuff

Well after my well deserved Christmas break and slightly less than fun new year being struck down with some norovirus bug thing I am back alive and kicking and unfortunately back at work.....

Well to celebrate the new year I thought a look at some of what to expect in the world of science in the forthcoming year was in order and a good lowdown can be found at the popular science list here:-

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/whatsnew/72928694d0c17110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

Also Santa was especially thoughtful this year and I am now armed with an even better coffee machine to keep me awake after work so expect slightly more regular posts and also armed me with snazzy photo/video capture device aka 'a camera' so expect some 'moving' footage to be uploaded of my wonderful mug and exploits in the world.

I also managed to spend what felt like an eternity in airports over the winter break and have to say what a completely messed up system we now have due to fear of terrorism in the UK. I had my eyes opened to the complete lack of security hidden under a veil of 'intense' security. There is a whole list of things you can't take on board unless in some clear jiffy bag type thing but on the other hand I wasn't stopped at all to have a pat down body check type thing, OK I shoved my coat and stuff through the x-ray jobby but could have quite easily smuggled through absolutely anything nonmetal such as perhaps explosives, napalm or one of those ceramic rocket launcher things you see the Taliban in their Toyota pick up trucks waving about. In fact I probably took through a whole host of stuff that I shouldn't do but that's by the by. There where some police about waving big guns tho just before I boarded the plane, that was probably enough to deter any would be terrorists, I feel so much safer now.......

Other 'fun' was had wondering what people do in airports for fun when you are stuck there for hours. My resulting findings where pretty much nothing but drink coffee and read books. Airports are inherently designed in these days of budget airlines to get you through the airport asap. Not have you hang around shopping for duty free or whatever. Even the seats are rare and uncomfortable these days. You can't smoke anywhere which drove me sort of insane which is why I ended up playing on one of the few arcade machines in the place that had a big gun on the front of the machine, stress relief!!!! Die Mr smoking ban enforcer......

That aside Christmas with family was as fun as ever and much drinking and merriment was had. 'Must do it again sometime, say a year from now, great that's a date then'

Popular Posts