My new hero


I've been having a look at a Microbiologist and his work a chap called Richard Lenski that works in the Michigan state university. He has been running a long term experiment exploring the evolution of E-coli and a wiki entry below will give you all the linkes for reading about him.




The reason I am mentioning him is the experiment has pretty much run it's course having been started in 1988 and the results very much go to 'prove' the theory/ies of evolution despite the 'creationist' bandwagon trying to 'spin' the results.


This is also the experiment I dreamed of doing whilst studying at University but was 10 years too late:(. Well at least what I expected has happened and adapatation to environment does occur and random genetic 'drift' does act as a precursor to other fundamental genetic adapatation.


Now I wonder if we can re-run it to look at possibility of working out rate of genetic mutations....... I'm free for the next 20 years of my career!

Popular Posts