DIY 'Dont injure yourself'


I hate DIY, I have never been any good at stuff like that. A bit of painting is fine, I can just about cope with some flat pack furniture but when I had to fit a kitchen severe mental and physical trauma was a certainty. I happily ripped out the old kitchen without damaging too much of the area. Though the plasterer did get a shock at the huge holes in the wall after I had finished 'helpfully' removing the wall tiles. The skip 'mini me version' was filled and I happily awaited the delivery of my new kitchen.

Well I went and ordered a flatpack kitchen from that well known store IKEA. Trying to save a large amount of cash turned down the getting it fitted for me option which would have doubled the cost. I wasn't really prepared for the 50 odd boxes and bags of brackets,legs and fittings that turned up, shortly followed by about twice as many than I needed slate quarry tiles that barracaded me out of the house!.

Despite this I went ahead and with some help got the thing fitted with much time wasted trying to find which shelve went with which cupboard etc. We had a few leaks with the daft swedish plumbing that came with the sink and have discovered no cutlery trays fit narrow IKEA drawers. All extras now need to be purchased from said swedish store in future....

Nothing has as yet fallen off any walls but the leaks did mean those nice new tiles have been up and down more times than I care to imagine, blooming sticky stuff doesn't stick when wet. And as for cutting the blighters......
I am now on the third tile cutter, some heavy duty circular saw contraption. I have yet to lose any digits but look a bit strange kitted out with gogles, mask gloves etc and it does turn me white after all the tile dust.

I'll be glad when this is all a distant memory.....

Popular Posts