Room 101



George Orwells novel 1984 refers to a room 101 where an individual is made to conform and eludes to nasty brainwashing and torture the most hated governmental department office where people don't come out the same as before, if at all. 1984 as we know describes a totalitarian police state type society with the control of the citizens foremost.
Well paranoid co-incidence seeker as I am I was particularly alarmed by my two visits to room 101 on the same day. Total spooky co-incidence that I have had to provide ID at work as part of some government clampdown on paedophiles in schools, colleges and universities I am told. A bit odd that all qualifications, certificates proof of address etc need to be copied too. I mean I got sent a letter to my address to provide proof of address, I should have just handed back the letter to them!. The office to hand all this paperwork to was room 101. In actual fact I have just relocated and my old Mangers office was room 101 as well.
Second instance was a journey up to Sheffield for a birthday party and bit of a night out. Well as there where a few of us the a cheap overnight hotel room was booked. Well I was a little late arriving due to an unfortunate incident with a passing public house and a couple of pints of beer.
I really wanted a smoking room which the receptionist seemed to think momentarily as if to say all gone then produced a room pass to room 101. From being out of rooms I had a smoking room with loads of space compared to what I'm used to in these type of places. I am just getting some sort of room 101 phobia now....

Popular Posts