Conservation




I have been looking about at doing some 'voluntary' conservation work preferable related to global warming and as an excuse to go travelling in places I wouldn't normally see and might not get a chance to again.


I thought about the whole 3 months out type affair but getting the time away from the workplace probably isn't that feasible so I'm looking at at least two 2 week excursions probably. Unfortunately me being me making my mind up when there are so many worthy things to do and places to see I am sat with a vast array of literature and catalogues getting more and more lost....


So in a process of elimination I am deciding on a shortlist which at present contains 3 possible excursion venues. The costs range from around £800-£2000 of which two thirds goes straight to the charity involved in the scientific research the remainder being admin costs and money for the groups to establish new projects. I will be in the process of fundraising for this probably from next month on if I can get it all agreed and booked (hope the Principal is obliging...). I'm sure my workplace may help out a little but I reckon I'm going to have to advertise to all the scientific community of techies and teaching staff who may be willing to donate a spare bit of loose change.


Now all I have to do is find some sort of 'totaliser' to put on this blog and set up some sort of paypal account for all the donations. I'm sure plenty of people would love to see me freezing in the Arctic or being chased by wolves whilst counting them in the Carpathians but anyway........


I will of course be willing to give presentations to the science students within my college on my return which hopefully sway the 'management' it's a worthy cause and worthwhile idea.

And if transport costs are paid willing to travel (yes even to Wolverhampton!) if people so desire after the event. It'll be more fun looking at my holiday snaps than the neighbours or your uncle's who is a mad keen photographer (we all have one in our families...)

Popular Posts