Fuming...


Oopsy daisy, Half term at college so in for a few days to do the jobs that can only be tackled with whole days to spare and no distractions. Today was the dreaded chemical store. Unfortunately despite the store being quite new the previous chemistry tech had a strange habit of accumulating hundreds on nearly empty bottles so was a bit of a sort out.


Now cleaning was a little scary, it was very apparent acid fumes where leaking and a nice white residue was forming on everything and the cabinets were well turning to rust... During the 'exploration' to find the cause a mystery bottle covered in yellow residue was found with an unreadable label. 'No bother' thinks techie chris quick wipe over with a damp cloth and.....


Boom, it was like mount Vesuvius erupting with clouds of vapours that were none too good for my health throwing themselves to the sky. Hurling the bottle at top speed into the fume cupboard whilst holding my breath quickly evacuated the area and had a quick look through my notes to see if I could identify the mysterious and nasty substance.


Result Sebacyl Chloride, everyone take note this stuffs residue doesn't like water!!!. Now how the devil do I get rid of the stuff. Oh and I still feel queasy, I'm sure I must of inhaled like Bill Clinton.

Popular Posts