Keep eating blue smarties....


Most people have been well aware for many years of the potential of various food additives and preservatives that can potentially increase hyperactivity in children. Below is an article regarding one of the first clinical studies.




Now what drew me to this article is why haven't these additives been banned for years?. Admittedly it has been notoriously difficult to carry out a rigorous validated test procedure. And in defence of much of the food industry they have made moves to seek alternatives mainly based on consumer demand.


I also over the past couple of years come to realise that I may actually have some sort of 'adult' version of ADH. Looking back at the evidence from childhood and the studies on children's background, diet and upbringing I am very much what one would have called a child who may suffer or develop ADH from excess sweets and their nasty ingredients, glucose, TV watching habits etc etc. As a child however I never really displayed too many outward symptoms of this and it was certainly not as if I was poor educationally so teachers and parents never really had cause for concern. Later in life though I have taken notice of some peculiar things. This first manifested after a predominately vegetarian diet for around a year in where towards the end of the year had developed a food allergy to soya based on excess consumption (that Linda McCartney and her fake bacon has a lot to answer for...).


After this occurrence I realised it was pretty hard to avoid soya or for that matter many 'additives' in food. I also went straight back to eating all the 'junk' I had missed out on and rapidly became lethargic at parts then hyperactive in others during the day. This happens to this day and it was back then I developed a bit of a coffee habit to keep going in the 'burnt out' moments. I thought for many years my caffeine addiction was the root cause of sleeplessness or poor attention (so much so I quit jobs that became easily monotonous as my sanity was suffering despite them being perfectly non mundane to colleagues). Well experimenting with caffeine found that regardless of absence or overdose on the stuff my bodies behaviour was roughly the same. So clutching at straws looked into ADH and seem to tick most of the boxes except I'm not 6 years old anymore and don't watch TV much these days but could some aspects of my behaviour been moulded through childhood eating habits and so forth?.

Sort of scary stuff but I have had a very junk diet over the past few months being a bit lazy and I'm seriously thinking of cutting as many additives out as possible to see the effect it has.....


Popular Posts