I Pod madness


I have had loads of problems with my old Ipod . It is about three years old now and after two years needed it's hard drive replacing which at the time was pretty tricky as Apple didn't repair anything out of Guarantee. I did find a UK fixit man and £150 later had a working pod which was half as much as it cost originally so a bit costly. Anyway all good for almost a year then the same freeze of death occurred and a strange rattling occurred which sounds like a bit of circuit board having come loose inside.
Now not wanting to part with another £150 (though Apple now do repairs for out of Guarantee pods it still is a similar cost!) which would mean I have in effect paid for the pod twice I had a look on the Internet about self repair.
Now I am half decent with a soldering iron and not totally stupid when it comes to practical stuff (it is my job to do stuff like that....) but blimey Ipods are a nightmare to get into without totally destroying them. After not really wanting to damage it more than the state it's in I had to give up and purchase a new pod. I'm sure Apple design them as tamper proof to make you pay for repairs....
Anyway new pod from e-bay was £200 of money I don't have but it is the super whizzy 80Gb movie, photo and music colour screen jobby so beats my old 40Gb mono screen music only hands down. I am the now the proud owner of one working and one poorly pod. As I have the new whizziness I shall be endeavouring to gaffer tape in hand repair the knacked job and sell it to some unsuspecting/foolish e-bay punter for as much as I can get to pay for the new one.
I also didn't realise how long it takes to put my music vastness onto the I-Pod. It took a half hour in the mad dash before work to not even get half on it from the computer. I really must remember not to download anything remotely interesting in future...
Oh talking of music and breaking stuff I also manged to blow up my bass subwoofer on my stereo. I was up a ladder painting when I heard a bang, high pitched whine slow death of sound and a smell of smoke. Investigating fund the subwoofer belching smoke out whilst still thumping proudly. They are not the easiest things to get into whilst they are on fire and you can't find a crosshead screwdiver to remove the speaker to get in the cabinet.....
Anyway got into it and found the tiniest capacitor in it had blown and set the sound cladding foam on fire but after a bit of a clean and coll down seems to work fine without the blown component. I think it regulates the signal to the right hand channel speaker which may suffer a slight drop in tweeter sound but hasn't been too noticeable as yet.
I just hope nothing else blows up in the near future as these things come in threes....

Popular Posts