Blind as a bat


I have finally managed to get myself to the opticians. Despite numerous problems finding a cheap opticians and then one that would actually give me an appointment and finally once I did secure an appointment not getting it cancelled (including twice on the same day...). Anyway result, I have had what used to pass as 20/20 vision described by the very nice optician as 'If you drove a car you would be dangerous'.


Well I had a good idea things where not quite as they should be for a couple of years, probably excessive flickering screens in dimly lit rooms and that's only on a night out not sitting in front of a VDU at work all day.....

It did come as a bit of a shock as how bad they where, 'I didn't realise people should see that far'. I suppose the fact I couldn't recognise people at a distance was a bit of a giveaway I was turning into Mr Magoo but all the same I just thought I was living life in a bit of a haze. Well at least my social grace will be improved as I won't be appearing quite so rude and standoffish now (It wasn't my fault I couldn't see you)


Now I have the joy of choosing some funky glasses, which obviously will cost a small fortune and I'll lose them or sit on them within a week. This is where having female advice would be most useful. The nice optician though did give us a hand though I was beginning to get a little embarrassed when she was making all the 'ooh suits you sir' noises. I had already put up with her 'you look so young for 33' bit (I think I shocked her that I was older than her) and the cheek to cheek blowing down my ear whilst glaring light in my eyes. I was having this disturbing vision of me suddenly embracing her in a locked room as my ear is an erogenous zone and there is only so much a young man can take before cracking.... If I had met her on a night out though I suppose I might have been more receptive but then with a set of glasses I'll actually be able to see nice people now!.


Anyway hats off to all glasses wearing people except my brother who helpfully said I'll look a nob and will turn into a stereotypical geeky Health and Safety inspector. At least he gave me some designer frame manufacturers to look at.


Popular Posts