Passing of time



I had a little excursion over the weekend to catch up with some old friends I hadn't seen in years (well 10 years in some cases). I was amazed to see how the passing of time and life's experiences can have huge effects in some cases but in others people seem to have almost 'frozen in time'.


Two people I met up with over the weekend are the best examples of the passing of time. The first used to be a pretty thin gaunt figure, living the high life to the full, easygoing and rarely wanted any sort of commitments or routine. He now is married a year, owns his own home, has been in his stable job in a camera shop for several years and appears a bit like the furniture. He is sorta chubby too and clean shaven, all my illusions were shattered but at least he's doing well.


The second was the rock and roll biker tamed by his girlfriend and the last time I saw him his first child had just been born. Tubby and laid back but very much hitting the settling down route. Now he is 2 years separated, 2 kids one 11 one 13 and divorcing soon. He is a bit toned down but almost identical to 12 years ago in attitude, mannerisms and way of life from way back then, as in living life to the full, meagre finances permitting. He is now with the person he was with when I first met him 12 years on, funny how life sometimes goes full circle.


Some people have died too, that's the hardest thing about not keeping in touch as you never hear about things until it's too late. Although my new years resolutions to look people up was well intentioned I reckon I should have done this years ago.


Seeing some of the old haunts and homes was good fun too. All of them are now spruced up and privately owned, obviously sold by landlords as the property market went up. One old house though was stuck in time, it is almost legendary amongst the hippies and rockers of Lincoln 'Ally Pally'. I had a knock and browse about the old part place. At least it now has furniture after we destroyed it all in one alcohol fuelled upset, still has the old painting though, bloomin art students.....


Popular Posts