This is unsurprisingly quite tricky....



Mmmm, this new learning an instrument is great fun but I really shouldn't have been so naive as to think that there isn't really much to it, you know hold a few keys down blow into mouthpiece and hey presto musak....


The saxophone is sort of hard. You have all these funny keys everywhere that I only know what half the notes are, you have all this crazy 'TA TA TA' business with your tongue, you have ligato or something blowy actions, reeds that like to break when you slightly touch them, silly finger changes for an illogical scale, it takes loadsa puff which for a smoker like me is a bit of an Achilles heel and to top it off I haven't actually listened to very much solo sax playing so I am completely in the dark as to what style I want to end up playing, Jazz, Blues, Rock/Pop, classical etc.


On the plus side it's very relaxing, quite inspiring to search out new music to practice with and listen to, to inspire me, may actually make me quit smoking (well cut down a bit...), makes some absolutely fantastic noises even tho they probably aren't all proper notes:) and looks totally cool. I now must demand everyone buys me saxophone related kit for my birthday especially a metronome and tuner, they are tricky to tune for someone tone deaf like me, and I have too much to concentrate on learning notes and blowy actions without tapping a time it's like swinging your arms in opposite directions whilst standing on one leg....


Anyway I always thought you should let the saxophone play you not the other way around someone famous once said.......

Popular Posts